Miss Babylon's Babblings

Friday, March 18, 2005

I am your candy girl

We have a bowl of candy sitting on the front desk in the office where I work. I, coincidentally, sit at the front desk exactly within an arm's reach of the candy bowl. My position in relation to the candy has made all the difference in my work experience--not because, as you may be thinking--it provides me with an endless supply of sugar to quell my cravings or my boredom (which purpose, I freely admit, it has filled at times)--but more importantly because of the hours of entertainment it provides. I mean think of the increase in visitors our office receivies merely as a result of the candy bowl's presence. When I first started to work at the office, I felt annoyed at the random visits we would get just so that people could raid the candy--I almost felt that my job description should have included something like "protector of the candy bowl." However, as my time here has increased, my attitude has undergone a complete change--now I welcome the visitors--and especially welcome the comments, explanations, and excuses people feel that they have to give me when they take a piece. It has become highly entertaining. We've even contemplated making a list of the superfluous comments we receive as people indulge . . . Although, at times, having candy sitting directly in front of me has created confusion (ie. "Is that cute boy checking me out or is he simply eyeing the candy?" or "Does such and such a person really want to visit me at the office or are they just lured by the candy") --I can freely say that despite my previous experiences and the intermittent confusion it may cause, I am still of the opinion that every office should have a candy bowl. So next time you get candy from an office, just think of the history behind it and the entertainment you are no doubt providing.

1 Comments:

  • At March 18, 2005 at 12:02 PM, Blogger Maggie said…

    Man, that sounds like a good idea. I wish BYU Mail Services had a candy bowl! Nothing remotely entertaining happens here during the lunch shift.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home